<span class="highlight">Stephen</span> <span class="highlight">L</span>'s Blog on Burke & Wills

Submitted: Monday, Dec 10, 2012 at 17:13
ThreadID: 99432 Views:2736 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Reading Stephens blog reminded me of the bush lore that Camels and Horses do not get along. I guess much like Cats and Dogs.

Have included these photo's taken on the birdsville track 2011. Possibly "Dulkaninna"
not sure if they are station horses or Brumbies.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Monday, Dec 10, 2012 at 18:20

Monday, Dec 10, 2012 at 18:20
I must have gone past the same time as you as I have a photo nearly identical
AnswerID: 500132

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Dec 10, 2012 at 19:45

Monday, Dec 10, 2012 at 19:45
Hi Michael

Yes that does put a very big hole in what I wrote about, that is for sure. We have also seen them a couple of times when travelling the Birdsville Track, but from we were told over the weekend from Jim the camel man, who used his camels for there enactment, they maybe a thing of the past.

Every time we have seen them, there were in the Lake Harry area, or north of it, and we were told that they were pets from Clayton Station, and were reared from when they were very small, and were brought up with the station horses, which are also station working horses.

One time that we saw them, they were right on the edge of the Birdsville Tracks, appeared not to have a trouble in the world, and just stood there as I took a picture of them. Jim was saying that he has heard that some low life scum shot them both, but could not 100% confirm if it was true. I was only speaking with Jason a few weeks ago from Etadunna Station, and I had know then I would have asked him, and will do so the next time that I speak with him.

Now to the original statement.

I was speaking again to one of the local ladies that took part in the weekend's event this afternoon and asked the same question again. Carolyn said that yes they do not get along and she was not sure if it was the size or their smell. Once they do mingle for a while, the horses will sort of settle down, but will only ever follow behind the camel, but go crazy in the camels are at the real and following the horses.

Cheers and lets hope that it is not true about the Station camels.

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 500138

Follow Up By: P and JM - Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 22:26

Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 22:26
Stephen,

As you are not sure where your photos were taken I hope the following will help.

Once you head north of the old Lake Harry Homestead and Lake Harry (on the right) along the Birdsville Track the first grid you come to is the boundry of Lake Harry (now part of Muloorina Station) and Clayton Station.

Some years back (about 5 yrs ??) the land around Marree was known as " The Marree Common ", or just " The Common ", it is now called/namedMarree Station and somebody in Marree had around 5 camels wandering the Common.

As you are aware, when I re visit my second home I don't and never have driven the Birdsville from Marree to Lake Harry because of cross country travelling, so I am not sure where the Marree Station and Muloorina Station boundry is on the Birdsville Track. Reason is I never got to that area in my mustering days.

Hopefully this maybe of help to you.
All the best and happy 4x4ing. P&J
FollowupID: 776241

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 22:53

Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 22:53
Hi Paul

Yes I know the first grid that you are talking about, and from memory is the dog fence crossing, which like I say would put them on Clayton Station country.

I hope you are getting on with the Hema, as like I said to you, they are a great unit.

All the Very Best for the Festive Season.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 776245

Follow Up By: P and JM - Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 23:23

Tuesday, Dec 11, 2012 at 23:23
Hi Stephen,

Hey you are now trying my memory young man ! gee I think you are right in it being the doggy fence, long time ago for me.

The hema, well I must admit it I've been too busy to look at it, but will get there ONE DAY.

Ok, all the best for the festive season to you, family and all on Exploroz.

Cheers P&J
FollowupID: 776247

Follow Up By: Members Pa & Ma. - Friday, Dec 14, 2012 at 11:36

Friday, Dec 14, 2012 at 11:36
It is the smell & the horses will get used to it in time.
Any one who's had any experience with a male camel on heat will never want to see or smell one again! They smell worse then, are very aggressive & blow out all this purple slime.
As for them being shot, I'm not sure about this area but a few yrs ago now there was a large Arial cull.
Take care, safe travels. Ma.
FollowupID: 776385

Sponsored Links